Sandstone

sandstonemaze[c]alphabetcitypress

This sandstone block was part of the building that occupied the corner of Pitt and Little George Streets, Sydney, between 1860 and 1916. The building was demolished in 1916 and its facade was rebuilt in Mentmore Avenue as part of the Rosebery Model and Industrial Suburb—a planned housing estate providing detached housing close to industrial employment sites. When the building was reconstructed the original L-shaped facade was straightened, and although some of the original detail was lost in the relocation, much of it, including this ground-level rusticated sandstone detailing, was retained.